Mass Digital Blackout in Gabon! Government Says Social Media Fuels Chaos, The Real Story Inside!
3 min read
Images 2026 02 18t135403.976
Gabon’s media regulator has announced an unprecedented suspension of social media platforms across the country, saying harmful online content has fuelled conflict, deepened divisions and threatened national stability.
The move, declared on Tuesday by the High Authority for Communication (HAC), is set to remain in place until further notice, though authorities gave no clear timeline for its reversal.
In a televised address, HAC spokesperson Jean‑Claude Mendome said the decision was driven by rampant circulation of what regulators described as inappropriate, defamatory, hateful and insulting content on social networks.
According to the statement, such material was damaging public morality, injuring citizens’ dignity and undermining social cohesion and the stability of state institutions.
Authorities also flagged the spread of false information, cyberbullying and the unauthorised sharing of personal data as serious concerns.
These actions are likely, in the case of Gabon, to generate social conflict, destabilise the institutions of the Republic, and seriously jeopardise national unity, democratic progress, and achievements,” Mendome said, summarising the regulator’s justification for the sweeping action.
The HAC did not specify which social networks would be blocked, but widely used services such as Facebook, TikTok, WhatsApp, Instagram and X are understood to be affected or at risk.
Also Read
- No Office Is Safe: Governor Natembeya Sparks Political Firestorm
- Opposition Unity Bombshell: Jubilee and PNU Team Up Against the Ruling Party
- Babu Owino vs IG Kanja: Who Really Controls the Police?
- Chaos at Tharaka University: David Maraga’s Convoy Stoned and Turned Back
- Babu Owino Blasts Nairobi County Takeover: Calls It ‘Illegal and Hostile
Some reports indicate that certain platforms were already inaccessible in parts of the country shortly after the announcement.
Authorities insist that the suspension does not amount to a ban on free expression.
In the announcement, the regulator reiterated that freedom of expression, including freedom of comment and criticism, remains a fundamental right under Gabonese law, but emphasised that this freedom must be exercised within the boundaries of legal and international standards.
Observers note that Gabon has been experiencing rising social unrest in recent months, including protracted strikes by teachers and other civil servants over pay and working conditions.
These protests, which began in December, reflect broader discontent with economic hardship and governance challenges, and have placed additional strain on public order.
Critics warn that shutting down social media risks isolating citizens from essential information and could suppress legitimate voices amid ongoing public debate.
They argue that blanket suspensions may hinder digital commerce, disrupt communication, and fuel further distrust toward official institutions.
Civil society groups have called for targeted and transparent content regulation rather than broad access restrictions.
International rights organisations have previously raised concerns about media freedom in Gabon, particularly after previous internet disruptions following elections and political unrest.
This latest development is likely to draw renewed scrutiny from global advocates of digital rights and freedom of expression.
